So you’ve lost your WhatsApp chat history and you’re now trying to restore WhatsApp backup?
With WhatsApp being the prime source of communication for most people, losing the chat history can be pretty devastating. It usually occurs when you switch phones or reformat phones.
In this article, we’ll show you how to restore WhatsApp backup on iPhone and Android devices using two different methods.
Part 1: Restore WhatsApp Backup using Official Methods
Most people use the official method to restore WhatsApp backup for iPhones and Android phones. However, in this case, you have different methods for both operating systems, and you can only restore WhatsApp backup from iPhone to iPhone or Android to Android.
#1 Restore WhatsApp Backup on iPhones
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup on iPhones using Official Method:
- Uninstall WhatsApp and install it again from the App Store.
- Go to WhatsApp Settings > Chat > Chat Backup.
- Verify that a backup file is available for your WhatsApp chats, and then delete and reinstall WhatsApp again.
- Verify your phone number and then select the options Restore from iCloud > Restore.
This method, however, can only work if you had previously backup your WhatsApp chats on iPhone.
How to Backup WhatsApp Chats on iPhone:
- Go to WhatsApp Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Back Up Now.
- Click on Auto backup to schedule automatic chat backups.
- All your files will automatically get backed up in regular intervals so you can restore WhatsApp backup later when necessary.
Drawbacks of Restoring WhatsApp Backup on iPhone using Official Method:
- Can only work for iPhones running iOS 7+.
- The chats need to have been backed up on iCloud.
- The iCloud drive needs to be have been turned ON.
- You need to have enough storage space in your iPhone or iCloud.
- You restore all the messages from the previous files and lose all your most recent messages. Selective recovery is not possible.
- Can only work to restore WhatsApp backup from iPhone to iPhone. Doesn’t support the cross-platform restoration of WhatsApp backup.
#2 Restore WhatsApp Backup on Android Phones
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup on Android using Official Method:
Uninstall and Reinstall WhatsApp from the PlayStore.
Verify your phone number.
If you had backed up your messages on Google Drive previously, you’ll get the prompts to restore those messages. Click on Restore Chat
Click on Continue to complete restoration.
How to Backup WhatsApp Chats on Android:
- Go to WhatsApp Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- Click Back Up to immediate backup the files.
- Click on Back Up to Google Drive to set up a frequency for automatic backups.
Drawbacks of Restoring WhatsApp Backup on Android using Official Method:
- You need to have previously backed up the chats on Google Drive.
- If you restore one of the backups, your current messages will be lost. You can’t selectively restore chats.
- The data isn’t fully encrypted in Google Drive. So your chats are vulnerable to hacking and data breach.
- Can only work to restore WhatsApp backup from one Android phone to another Android phone. Doesn’t support the cross-platform restoration of WhatsApp backup.
Part 2: Restore WhatsApp Backup using dr.fone – Restore Social App
The most effective way to restore WhatsApp backup is through dr.fone – Restore Social App. dr.fone is one of the most reliable software with which to restore WhatsApp backup because it has been developed by Wondershare, one of the world’s leading technological enterprises.
Furthermore, with dr.fone – Restore Social App, you don’t have platform restrictions. You can restore WhatsApp backup from iPhone to iPhone, Android to Android, iPhone to Android, or Android to iPhone. It perfectly supports cross-platform WhatsApp restoration, making it suitable for everyone.
dr.fone – Restore Social App
Restore WhatsApp Backup without Cross-Platform Restrictions
- Simple and easy method to restore WhatsApp backup.
- No need to uninstall WhatsApp from phone.
- Can restore WhatsApp backup from iPhone to iPhone, Android to Android, iPhone to Android, or Android to iPhone.
- Can backup WhatsApp chats to computer.
- Completely private and secure.
- Compatible with all iOS and Android devices.
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup using dr.fone – Restore Social App
Download, install, and launch dr.fone. From the main menu select the ‘Restore Social App’ option and then connect your Android or iPhone to the computer using a data cable.
If you’re using an Android phone, activate the USB debugging so your phone can be recognized by dr.fone.
In the next menu, select ‘WhatsApp’ from the menu in the blue panel. Following that, select the option ‘Restore WhatsApp Messages to iOS Device’ or ‘Restore WhatsApp Messages to Android Device’, whichever one is relevant to your situation.
You’ll get a list of all the backup files available in the phone. Select the one you want to restore and click on ‘View’.
Go through the list of all the files in the device. Select the ones you want to restore and click on ‘Restore to Device’.
Benefits of Restoring WhatsApp Backup using dr.fone – Restore Social App
- No cross-platform restrictions.
- Don’t need to first uninstall WhatsApp.
- Can selectively choose the files you want to restore.
- No data loss.
I hope this article has helped you figure out how to restore WhatsApp backup on iPhone and Android devices without suffering data loss. You can use either the official method or the dr.fone – Restore Social App method. However, my recommendation is to use the dr.fone – Restore Social App method as it is a lot easier, more reliable, and you don’t suffer data loss.