Metrogyl is an antibiotic medicine used for treating bacterial, fungal and parasitical infections in the human body. It is classified as a nitroimidazole drug. Metronidazole is the main ingredient used in the composition of this medicine. It is available for use by consumers in 2 variants depending on the variation of the composing element, which is 200MG and 400MG. It can be administered orally in tablet or syrup form. It is always advised to ask a doctor before administering the Metrogyl tablet.
Metrogyl is usually used to treat infection in the stomach and the genital area. In details, the basic conditions cured by the consumption of this medicine are.
- Surgical prophylaxis
The antimicrobial medicine is used to treat infections that could arise post-surgery and due to open wounds.
Metrogyl 400 MG Tablet acts as an anti-parasitic drug used to treat infections caused by parasites which alter the functionality of the liver and intestines. It is often prescribed to treat the amoebic liver abscess.
- Bacterial Vaginosis
A class of bacterial species known as Lactobacillus, Metrogyl 400 MG Tablet is used for the treatment of overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina.
This medication is also prescribed for the treatment of a Sexually Transmitted Disease known as Trichomoniasis caused by Trichomonas vaginalis.
- Bacterial infections
Bacteria such as Lactobacillus species and Bactericides fragilis can affect the functionalities of the lungs, genitals or in the blood. Metrogyl 400 MG Tablet is prescribed to cure and relieve symptoms of these infections.
Pregnant and lactating females cannot be administered the Metrogyl tablet in the dose as prescribed by the doctor or pediatrician.
Factually there is very less evidence to support or refute the use of Metrogyl amongst women who are lactating and pregnant, it can be administered post doctor consultation. The doctor’s suggestion should be considered the basis of the dosage and well as the duration for which the medicine is to be taken. If you need help in choosing a right doctor, you can always follow these tips.
Consulting a doctor before taking this medicine is of utmost importance.
- It has been revealed by various tests and surveys that consuming this medicine for the treatment of Trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis is not safe during the first trimester of the pregnancy. This is because the basic development of the internal organs of the baby takes place in the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy. Thus, there is a higher chance of any side effects to occur during the first trimester.
- It has been realized that it is relatively safer to use in the second and third trimester of the pregnancy only if it is prescribed by the doctor and the condition of the patient cannot be treated by any other alternate course.
- Pregnant women have observed to show the following side effects in case they take the medicine during the second and third trimester of their pregnancy-
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Skin allergy
- Dry mouth and chapped lips
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Temporary loss of sensation in limbs
- Change in the urine color
Doses of Metronidazole, taken orally by the means of consuming the Metrogyl tablet, have the tendency to pass on to the child through the milk during breastfeeding.
In case the doctor, treating a female for an infection, prescribes her to take the Metrogyl tablet, then it is recommended that she keeps a gap of at least 24 hours from the last dose before she breastfeeds the baby. This is because the Metronidazole present in the tablet makes the milk taste bitter and can induce side effects in the child. To be absolutely safe, the lactating mother should refrain from feeding her child for at least 48 hours post consuming the medicine.
The noticed side- effects of feeding a baby within 24 hours of consuming the medicine are :
- Diarrhea or loose stool
- Lactose intolerance
The doctor who is fully aware of the medical history of a patient must be consulted before consuming any medication in order to avoid the occurrence of any ill- effects as a reaction to consuming the medicine. It is also very important to keep a Healthy diet and one can always follow these tips for healthy and baleaced diet.