The easiest way to keep your emails private is by using the most secure email service. They play an essential role in protecting your anonymity while offering a secure and encrypted email. There are email service providers who work with law enforcement agencies such as NSA and CIA, by helping them access communication and encrypted attachments.
The best email services offer unique features beyond the basic incoming and outgoing emails. Security and privacy are the essential features in the online realm and most importantly your email account. Here are some of the few secure email services that are proved to offer email privacy and encryption.
10 Most Secure Email Services
CounterMail is one of the most secure email service providers that use a strong encryption protocol (OpenPGP) to provide an automatic and transparent encryption. It operates on a diskless architecture, unlike the traditional email service providers which prevent any leakage of IP-addresses from its web server to a hard drive.
You can access the email service through a mobile app or a web interface. The CounterMail developers value function over form as they guarantee the security of your email communication.
- It supports IMAP and email filters
- It includes an inbuilt password manager called Safebox.
- It doesn’t retain your IP address logs
- Allows you to receive mail through several identities.
- It is free only for one week
- You cannot send encrypted emails to nonusers
- You need to pay for more space for emails.
ProtonMail is one of the best free, encrypted email service provider based in Switzerland. It tops the list since the company has a proven track record of providing users a secure platform. It is ideal for those who value their online privacy.
Unlike other service providers, ProtonMail uses an end-to-end encryption which means messages you send are encrypted and the recipient is the only person who can read the messages as they have secret decryption keys.
- You can send encrypted messages even to non ProtonMail users
- It has a two-factor authentication option
- You can compose messages with rich text and image formatting
- It supports CSV contact imports
- Has lots of keyboard shortcuts
- It does not support SMTP, IMAP or POP3.
- You cannot change the default email signature on a free account but can be erased before sending each email.
Hushmail offers a variety of security features in an elegant interface. All emails are highly protected with encrypted passwords and not even Hushmail itself can gain access to contents of your email. It has a variety of features such as blacklisting, spam-filtering, and anonymity options.
This includes an unlimited number of email aliases that maintain your private identity. You can choose a variety of addresses when making a new Hushmail account and you can send encrypted messages to both Hushmail users and nonusers.
- It supports POP and IMAP
- You can import contacts from a CSV file.
- It comes with 10 GB of email storage
- You can enable auto-response
- You can mask your identity online by creating unlimited email aliases
- There is little storage in free accounts (14-day trial)
Mailfence is a security-centric and the most secure email service provider based in Belgium. It incorporates an OpenPGP public key encryption which means that you can access it through SMTP and IMAP. It is possible to create a key pair for your account and manage a store of keys for individuals whom you want to email securely.
Mailfence gives freedom to its users to securely communicate with anyone from another email service that is compliant with the OpenPGP protocol. It offers a digital signing and an end-to-end encryption based on the OpenPGP standard.
- It does not use ads
- It supports two-factor authentication
- You can import contacts from Gmail, CSV file, Outlook, and
- You can import messages in the EML format
- Emails are digitally signed so as to prove authorship
- You can only send encrypted emails to OpenPGP users or Mailfence.
#5. Yandex Mail
Yandex Mail offers a full and rich email experience with unlimited storage and a powerful web access. It comes with 10 GB of space to ensure that you never run out of space and it continues to grow as its usage increases. Yandex Mail has the ability to collect new messages from your existing accounts (both IMAP and POP) and also import your old mail as well.
Unlike other email service providers Yandex.Mail scans all incoming emails for phishing, spam, and malware. It has a filtering that is reasonably accurate making it easier to report both good mail and spam.
- It allows you to schedule mail and get reminders in a situation where you don’t receive any replies.
- It has unlimited storage
- The IMAP and POP allow flexibility of access to Yandex.Mail
- It makes it easier to find related emails by contact and thread.
- It cannot access IMAP accounts such as desktop email program
- It lacks text snippets that learn by example
Tutanota is a service provider based in Germany. It’s also a web-based secure email service that provides the best security and experience to its users. They have developed a proprietary solution that is based on AES which encrypts texts, attachments, and subjects.
They do not record email addresses or IPs in their servers to guarantee anonymity and privacy. The Plus account goes at around $1.50 per month which makes it a cheaper option compared to other most secure email providers.
- It supports all browsers
- Offers unlimited number of sent messages per day
- Offers complete end-to-end encryption
- You can expand your user count and cloud storage
- Premium account users have the freedom to use their own domains with Tutanota.
- It only uses the AES-128 encryption
Runbox is an email service provider based in Norway. It is a secure email service that uses two-factor authentication with no external tracking cookies. This makes it difficult for your Runbox email account to be hacked by scammers. Emails sent through Runbox are channeled through a secure encrypted connection.
Everything between your email address and Runbox servers is also encrypted. With just one account, you can create most secure email aliases to use different email addresses. Runbox is both powerful and reliable in the processing and storage of large amounts of data.
- It has a uniquely designed interface
- It has a 30-day free trial and offers 60-day money back guarantee
- Has plenty of storage space
- Gives universal access via IMAP, WAP or Web.
- It lacks a mobile app
- Has less storage capacity
- It has high subscription costs for businesses.
#8. Zoho mail
Zoho mail is another free email service provider that provides a minimalist interface and unique features that are geared for professional and business use. Unlike other email services, Zoho mail is ad-free. It has a remarkable platform and user-friendly features that are just hard to ignore.
With Zoho Mail, you can create and edit documents because you have access to an online office called Zoho Docs. They are pretty good at securing your emails as they safeguard your data using a 256 bit SSL encryption.
- It has high-level security systems
- Has easy signups
- Has an instant chat option
- A dedicated task manager
- It is ad-free to protect your privacy
- Has premium features of the inbuilt calendar and notes functionality.
- It doesn’t offer the option of importing contacts from other accounts.
#9. AOL Mail
AOL mail trends as a free email service that has very good spam protection and unlimited online storage. Its interface is friendly and very easy to use. It makes up for some productivity by integrating chats and social networking services as well as IMAP and POP.
It offers a smooth experience with its very efficient and sophisticated spam filtering. It comes with an AIM client that allows you to exchange instant messages directly in your browser. You can flag messages for a follow-up since search mail operates efficiently for various criteria.
- It has solid security features and a stellar spam protection
- It comes with a rich interface that makes it easier to use.
- It also integrates chats, calendar, and social networking
- It offers unlimited online email storage space and access to IMAP and POP.
- It doesn’t thread messages and does not support encryption.
#10. Kolab Now
Kolab Now is an email service provider based in Switzerland. It is focused primarily on providing small and medium-sized enterprises with a complete online office suite and most secure email services. With Kolab Now, you can easily pass confidential information through emails without any worries.
It directly charges its users by offering several monthly and annual plans for an individual account. Your data is protected from scammers, government agencies, and advertisers.
- It offers a full business suite
- It guarantees high security for email accounts
- It has an integrated app for taking notes
- It offers an email-tagged support
- It provides a great all-around email privacy
- It is an open-source encrypted email service
- The rates are getting higher at a quick pace
There are no several email services that can guarantee security and anonymity when it comes to privacy. The above-listed emails have been proven to keep your emails private and secure as possible. End-to-end encryption can always safeguard your emails when sending them to other users.