Top 5 Holiday Electrical Hazards and How to Avoid Them

The holiday season is one of the most wonderful times of the year, but it can also present some common electrical hazards to your family. Electrical hazards can happen to anyone. That is why it is very important to keep safety in mind. Continue reading on this page to learn about the top 5 holiday electrical hazards and how to avoid them.

Overloading outlets

When it comes to holiday decorating, many people like to focus on their windows and doorways. However, the power outlets around the house also deserve some attention. Overloading power outlets during this time is a dangerous and common holiday hazard. When you plug too many devices into an outlet, the circuit breaker may trip or a power outage may occur.

Mixing indoor and outdoor lights

You might think that combining indoor and outdoor lights could make for a festive holiday display. But it is never a good idea. Do not mix indoor and outdoor lights. Most lights are not meant to be left outside. Always check the package or label for what type of lights they are.

Forgetting to turn off lights when not in use

It is important to turn off holiday lights after each day of use. Lights that are left on for days at a time have been known to overheat. Besides protecting your family and home from electrical hazards, turning your lights off when not in use can also help you save energy. Leaving them on overnight or for extended periods can increase your energy bill by 20 percent or more. If you keep forgetting to turn off the light, you should use a timer.

Using old or damaged extension cords

Extension cords are often used for holiday decorations. These extension cords are often damaged by moisture or exposed to excessive heat. The damaged extension cord may appear to be in good condition, but pose the dangers of electrocution or fire.

The danger of using defective extension cords is not limited to older cords. Extension cords deteriorate over time from wear and tear, as a result, they may also pose a safety hazard.

Leaving electrical outlets uncovered

Outlets overflowing with plug-in holiday lights can be a fire hazard.  Take preventive measures to keep your outlet plugs covered at all times to avoid having any surprises this holiday season. Covering open electrical outlets can help to protect small children from touching live wires.

Ask for professional assistance when decorating your home this holiday season

Holiday lighting is a part of the magic of the holiday season. But before you get started, be sure you have electrical safety handled. To keep your holiday decorations from becoming a fire hazard, ask qualified professionals to install and check your lights.

The electricity in your home is not to be taken lightly. Contacting an experienced, qualified electrician when you want to install or upgrade holiday lighting or decorations can keep your family safe and avoid fires, floods, and power outages. Schedule a service appointment with your trusted local electrical company now!

John Morris
John Morrishttps://www.tenoblog.com
John Morris is a self-motivated person, a blogging enthusiast who loves to peek into the minds of innovative entrepreneurs. He's inspired by emerging tech & business trends and is dedicated to sharing his passion with readers.


Related Stories